Whats the best way to get back on track after a bit of a binge?
When you eat lots of sugar, bad carbs, wheat, gluten and bad fat, the body tends to feel a bit ‘hungover’. Our stomachs are swollen, we feel low in energy, our mood is bad and even our teeth feel sore from the sugar. Some times I wonder if its the food thats making us low or the fact that we feel bad about ourselves indulging a bit too much. Needless to say, we aren’t happy in ourselves with how we look and feel so heres what to do.
- First, you need to get rid of the toxins that you’ve just flooded your system with. These toxins will cling on to body fat, not letting you burn any. So the sooner there gone, the sooner we can get back to our lean, happy selves.
- Secondly, you need to alkalise the body and take down the levels of acidity that we have in us. The best and easiest way of doing this is by having lots of greens and whats even easier than cooking and eating plate full of broccoli 4 times per day, is having a Supergreens powder with a small amount of water. Doesn’t taste incredible but thats ok.
- Thirdly, eat some good fats. Ye, I said fat. The fat that you may have had the previous night from the pizza or burger is bad saturated fat, but the fat were going to have is good, fat burning fat. This keeps you fuller from longer, stabilises your blood sugar levels and will keep cravings of sugar at bay. Best options are avocado, cold olive oil, udos oil, krill oil, full fat butter, almond butter and nuts to name but a few.
- Fourthly, have some protein. To make sure your not craving bad foods and to keep your body in an anabolic state i.e, constantly able to tone up your muscles, consume a small amount of chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey or even steak as soon as you wake up.
- Fifthly, drink lots of water to speed up the amount of time it takes to get rid of those fat storing toxins and have you feeling as good as new.
I also like to have a workout which involves the whole body working in unison such as MetCons. These are an incredible way to burn body fat and take down inflammation and reduce the damage that the bad food has done. Your muscle should be full of glycogen also so you should be able to lift more and for longer.
When we eat badly, we are disappointed in ourselves. Don’t be. Everyone does it and your only human. Accept it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day.